Thursday, March 26, 2015

Now's the Time: Max Raabe and the Palast Orchester

When the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts polled audiences about potential bookings in 2010, I responded with a list of artists I'd like to hear at the beautiful new building.  My suggestions included Ornette Coleman, Charlie Haden, Keith Jarrett, Sonny Rollins and Cassandra Wilson. 

What was I thinking?

Kansas Citians would rather buy tickets to concerts by the likes of Max Raabe and the Palast Orchester.  The German retro-swing band will knock ‘em dead at Helzberg Hall on Tuesday, April 7. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helzberg Hall was designed for acoustic music without amplification and microphones. Add a microphone and the acoustics are virtually ruined.

Peter said...

Don't be cross! Max is far wittier, more awake, intelligent, musical and original than the retro robotic stance would have you believe. I just hope he is in ironic mode, not schmaltzed up.

Someday your princes will come. But ...2010!!????

Happy In Bag said...

You're right, Peter. I've since read extensively about Raabe. He's not at all what I initially feared. I hope to attend the concert.

9:59- That was once true. The situation has improved dramatically.